Thursday, January 24, 2013

IN AND OUT
Possible/Probable changes to the 2013 roster.

I wanted to run through the list of players with contracts ending in 2013 and then discuss the implications and how they will affect the team next season.
The playesr with an R in front of their name are restricted free agents which basically means the players a free to solicit themselves but the Packers have final say on whether they want to retain them.  If the Packers decide to retain the player they can only do so by matching the highest offer the player receives from another franchise.
1. Cedric Benson:  I am on the fence with Mr. Benson.  He lasted 4 games with the team this year and I could argue that his presence may not have had a positive impact on the team.  He is truly on the downside of his playing career and his durability is a real factor as we experienced first hand.  Also, his commitment to the team is another thing I wonder about.  It felt like he may have been more focused on his DJ'ing career than on his rehabilitation from the Lisfranc injury he suffered against the Colts in game 5.  If the Packers go after a back in the early rounds of the draft I don't see any reason to sign for another season.  Lets not forget
about Dujuan Harris.

2. (R) Tom Crabtree:  I liked what I saw out of him in the first 8-10 games of 2012.  He strikes me as a hard worker and showed that he has some skill beyond run blocking and pass pro.  He was a great contributor on special teams this year also.  Depending on the interest the rest of the league takes in him I feel like he may be worth keeping around.  Especially with the uncertainty of Finley's future, who has a contract ending 2014.

3. (R) Evan Dietrich Smith:  Definitely showed he can be trusted with the responsibility that comes with playing the Center position.  As long as he and Rodgers are comfortable together I don't see why we wouldn't retain him.  Saturday is all but an afterthought and a failed experiment at this point.  I think Smith would be money well spent, which is something I cannot say about Saturday.

4. Donald Driver:  This guy is probably my favorite player of all time and if character was enough I would keep him forever. I am going to miss him most of all.

                            
5. Rob Francois: didn't see a whole lot from Francois this year. He does look a lot like Lionel Richie though, which is cool.  It looked like the defense started looking to other players at linebacker.  Don't think we will see him next season but I also don't know enough about his actual worth on special teams.  If there is another team out there desperate for linebackers we may see him go to another team.

6. Ryan Grant: I like him, but no.

7. Greg Jennings:  I would love to keep a player of his caliber on the team.  We won't understand his value to the team until he is gone for good.  I will say that our offense was at its best with a healthy Greg Jennings in the lineup.  He is worth every penny he will get and if we aren't able to resign him I will be rooting for him wherever he goes...unless its the Vikings, Bears, or Lions.  By the way, this pick is from the moment I realized we were going to win Super Bowl XLV...Remember.

8. Brad Jones:  Really like what I saw out of Jones this year.  Still a lot of room for improvement but this was really his first year with experience as a major contributor to the defense.  He is also a very smart man and to me that is an attractive quality in a player. Smart people retain knowledge better than dumb people.

9. (R)Sam Shields: No brainer. We need to keep this guy.  Is it me or was he the best cover corner on our team this year.  Tramon Williams was not himself this year. That may have been a result of Charles Woodson being absent from his old position but it's not an excuse.  If you want be considered among the best you have to show up and be the best, no excuses.  Sam is learning quickly how good he can really be.  Just stay healthy.

10. Erik Walden:  I like Erik. What he lacks in raw talent he makes up in hustle.  I never saw him quit on a play.  In fact, during the Rams game he was the player that came all the way across the field to tackle on the 56 yard catch and run by Chris Givens.

11. Frank Zombo: Peace be with you.

Tomorrow I will go through the 2014 picks or at least the ones I feel will have an impact on the team next season.


No comments:

Post a Comment